Monday, April 14, 2008

Suppose I should update!

It's been awhile, but what can I say, we have been busy busy busy and the time is flying by ever so quickly that it is mind-numbing!

I know I am way behind on pictures and hopefully sometime this week I will have a chance to get those off my camera and up online. (and hopefully I'll have time to go through the 2000 unread emails in my inbox too!)


Basically we have been spending all of our time re-adjusting to being a 2-parent family of 6 again (who'd have thought just 10 weeks away would require an adjustment period?) and preparing for this move. The packers are coming (pending confirmation which I am getting a little nervous about) in just over 2 weeks and we still have lots of big projects to complete before they come. Hence why I am pretty much sitting over here pulling my hair out!

We are basically going through every freaking thing we own and doing a major declutter and simplifying of what we own. We are not taking anything we don't need/want with us, so we are doing a lot of tossing and donating before we move this time. I think an organized house will be much easier to pack (even though I am not the one packing it!) and I don't want to add excess weight due to things we no longer need/use (I think our extensive book collection will do a good enough job on the weight!) so we are getting rid of a ton. I am currently taking a break to update this blog while waiting on a friend to drop by t0 pick up 2 sets of dishes and various small kitchen appliances (including my electric can opener that I never use) to donate to a needy family she knows.

So far I have gone through the dining room hutch, cleaned out under the sink in the powder room, gone through our back storage area (cleaned out a TON and now the girls bikes actually fit!) and we started the middles room this weekend. It will probably take me another day and a half to complete it. It had gotten bad and I don't even want to rehash it. I will say that I took 2 big black trash bags of crap/garbage out of there. I also got a good amount of donate stuff from their room as well. We need to re-vamp this rooming situation when we move. As much as I love her, Jules is the problem, and Sophia is needing a break from room-sharing with her. That is something we'll tackle at a later date. Let's just say that Jules doesn't make the best roommate.

Also this weekend, Nick and I went on a date. It was a very nice treat, and one we don't do often. In fact, I think it's been nearly a year since we have gone out anywhere just the two of us. We went to this great new Indian restaurant for lunch. The food was absolutely devine and it was nice having a grown up tasting meal sans children. My sweet husband wanted this to be a pampering date, so after lunch, we went and had manicures and pedicures. He's not particularly metro-sexual, but he does like his hands to look nice and his feet were in pretty bad shape. It was a really nice treat and something we rarely do and we had a good time. The guy doing my feet, not realizing that we were married, was trying to hook up the girl doing Nick's feet with her, lol. I was just chuckling to myself, thinking, is he really trying to hook them up while I am sitting right here? Apparently, after further discussion, it came out that she is looking for an American husband. He explained to her that he is very happily married and that her turn will come.

After that, we just did a little shopping and got some coffee and just enjoyed spending time with each other without having little voices interrupting, etc. We even got to hold hands, lol. We were gone for about 4.5 hours. When we got back to my friend's house who was watching the girls, she was surprised to see us. She didn't expect us home for another few hours, lol. A few hour break was fine though. She wants to watch them for us one more time before we move, since it will be a while before we meet and trust someone enough to watch our girls.

The girls had a fabulous time over at her house, as they always do, and she enjoyed it too. I know the girls love her, and I know Evy feels happy and safe there, since even when I walked in the door, she went to K and lifted up her arms for her to hold her. I really count my blessings when I have friends who care for my children as well as I do and who I can trust to leave them with. Don't get me wrong, I love my children with a fierceness, moreso than I ever thought was capable of loving someone, but there are times when we do need a break from them, and a chance to just be husband and wife for a couple of hours. I know for me, it helps me feel refreshed and able to tackle the things that come with parenthood a little better and easier.

We are a week away from going down to San Antonio for Sophia's endoscopy. We decided for sure to go down a day early to avoid the traffic hassle on Monday morning, so we will leave sometime next Sunday. The general consensus among other military wives I ran our situation by was to have Nick reserve the AFB lodging for he and Sophia and they would never know that the rest of us were there too. We just can't do that. It just goes against what we believe in ethically (lieing) and we are just going to suck up the extra cost. I'd rather do that than stay someplace I felt I had to be sneaky about and worry the whole time we were there if we'd get caught. The hotel we will be staying at is only.25 miles from the medical center, and we were able to get a military rate so it wasn't as bad as initially anticipated. We are going to try to think of something fun to do while we are down there so the trip isn't all bad for Sophia.

We broke the news to her yesterday and of course we had some tears and lots of snuggles. In her words, "I am tired of all this medical stuff. All these doctors appointments and tests and everything. I just want it all to stop." I agree. We explained why it was necessary and she understands, but doesn't have to like it. I just can't believe how fast the time has gone by and that this is a week away already. And that our move is coming up so quickly!! I am praying for that economic stimulus check to hit on schedule for sure!

No comments:

 
Trace