Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter fun!

Easter this year was pretty interesting. It was also Evelynn's birthday, but to keep that separate from the Easter holiday, I posted about that on its own. I had boiled eggs earlier on Saturday and after nap the girls colored them.  I did not get any pics of this, as I was too busy monitoring everything.  When the girls went to bed on Saturday night, I got busy. They really weren't overly excited about it this year, mostly I think because they are more excited about Daddy coming home this week, so that takes precedence over everything, as it should.   I had gotten some fun Easter placemats, a table cloth, some egg-shaped ramekins, and some egg cups, and holiday paper plates and napkins.  I set up the table with the festive decor, and put a Lil Kinz at each girls place.  

This year we did gift bags instead of baskets as an un-named child destroyed most of the baskets last year.  I tucked in their outfits, their sunglasses, a pencil and erasers for the big girls, a board book for the little girly, and some non-peanut contaminated chocolate eggs for the big girls and some lollipops (thanks S!) that had no artificial crap in them.  I put each girl's bag in their seat at the dining table.

Then I got to filling eggs.  I had 60 total and this year decided to fill them with money!  I had lots of spare change sitting around, so I put coins in the eggs, and just a few got a dollar bill.  I thought it would be a good way for the girls to add to their banks, and it was something they could have, rather than fill eggs with junk I didn't want them to eat anyway.

Easter morning was a blast.  The girls loved the set up.  I had put a boiled egg in each of their egg cups, some cheerios (their request) in the ramekins and I made cherry turnovers.  It wasn't much, but the girls told me it was like an Easter feast.  Evy wasn't fond of the turnovers, but she loved dipping her cheerios in the icing.  

Shortly after, I went outside to hide eggs.  It was breezy, cool, and overcast, but thankfully the weather held out and it did not rain.  The girls had fun egg-hunting and then played outside for a bit.  

Things took a turn for the worse after nap.  Jules was in a foul mood and had a melt down when I asked her to clean up the toys she had played with during nap.  I set about making deviled eggs while she ranted and screamed upstairs.   The eggs were not peeling well.  They were the worlds ugliest deviled eggs.  

I had decided on a non-traditional dinner.  I wasn't up for making a big meal for just the girls and I, and wanted to keep it easy and low-key, so I made a frozen lasagna, something I knew everyone loved.  I had a big salad, and the deviled eggs to go along.  I decided to make some garlic crescent rolls too.  I pre-heated the oven.  This is where things when majorly wrong.

As mentioned, it was also Evy's birthday.  I had made cupcakes the day before and had decorated them already.  She saw them sitting on the counter and was not patient about waiting, so I stuck them in the oven to get them out of her sight.  You can see where this is going.

Oven chimed that little pre-heated "beep beep beep" and I opened it up to see a cookie sheet with now "glazed" cupcakes and melted icing all over the cookie sheet.  Oy!  I was mad at myself for not remembering I had put them in there, and mad at myself for ruining yet another holiday (I have a track record of making stupid mistakes during holidays when Nick is gone).  Sophia said, "Mommy!  I'm going to say a bad word!"  I told her go right ahead and she said, "Stupid oven!!"  I told her it was not the oven's fault, but mine, and she said, "Well, I'm not going to call YOU a bad word!"  The girls were very gracious and said that it was okay, glazed cupcakes sounded just as yummy.  They were really trying to make me feel better.  I was just thankful that the cupcakes themselves were unscathed, just heated up and that the little chick picks I had in the tops didn't catch fire.

I was on the verge of tears, so went out front to vent/whine to my neighbor and friend K.  She made me feel better, saying it happens to the best of us, etc. etc. and then she did a sweet sweet thing.    I had taken some cupcakes over to her for her family earlier since we did not need 24 cucpakes.  She had 3 left and she gave them back to me.  I felt horrible taking them, but she insisted that even though Evy had no clue it was her birthday, and even though she'd be happy with a "glazed" cupcake, she needed a frosted cupcake to celebrate with.

I felt better, went back in the house and by some miracle found some extra frosting in the cupboard.  I topped the "glazed" cupcakes with more frosting and more sprinkles and stuck the picks back in them.  I redeemed them.  The older girls thought these were "new and improved" because now they were doubly sweet!  I love how my girls can make lemonade out of lemons.

The rest of dinner went off without a hitch, although it was a little later than I had hoped to eat. 

Daddy called and talked to everyone and finally it was time for bed.  I was glad to have everything over and done.  Holidays while single parenting exhaust me.  

Again, pics will come later after I get them off.  You can see my before, my after, and my after after cupcakes!

No comments:

 
Trace