Monday, March 10, 2008

Mummies?

Yes, I know I already posted today, and I realize it is almost midnight, and I promised myself I'd get to bed at a decent hour today (ha ha, so not happening!) but I just had to write this because it tickled me.

My sweet, imaginative Sophia is terrified at bed tome because she is afraid there are mummies hiding/sleeping in her closet.  We went over this about a week ago, went up and checked her closet, and no, no mummies in there, just a big doodle dinosaur.  So she set the doodle dino up to guard the door and seemed satisfied.

She is also terrified to sleep without a night light in their room (her and Jules share) and has gotten Jules afraid too (Jules never used to care and actually preferred the dark, as did I, so Jules couldn't get up and play with stuff when she was supposed to be sleeping!).  Last week at about 3 in the morning, Jules came busting into my room to tell me the night light burned out.  I went to change the bulb, and not only was it burnt out, the entire plastic covering of the night light had MELTED to the bulb!  YIKES!!  Talk about a fire hazard waiting to happen!  I scavenged up the last night light in the house and put it in and they went back to sleep.  Today I picked up a glowing LED cool-touch night light so we have no more melting issues.

So tonight before bed, Sophia tells me she has been crying every night at bed (like I said before, she's a little stoic when it comes to crying, and does it alone, not wanting to bother anyone) because she is still afraid of those darned mummies!

So we discussed how we do not live in Ancient Egypt, and how the only mummies in the US are in museums, and they are encased in glass with alarms to prevent theft.  And furthermore, even if we DID live in Ancient Egypt, mummies are DEAD, just bodies wrapped in cloth and DEAD so there is no way they can be in her closet ready to inflict harm.  Still not satisfied, she had me say a prayer that she won't be afraid of mummies and that she would remember that God has not given her a spirit of fear (she dictated this to me).  Finally this appeased her and she agreed to go lay down.

Then of course, I made the major faux pas of asking how the new night light was working out.  This ensued into a whole conversation about what COULD have happened with the melty night light and how what if there was a fire and it burned right up the bunk bed and killed her.  My morbidly thinking child then wanted to know if this happened, if she died, would she have a grave stone?  A little exasperated at this point (can you say stalling??) I said I didn't know.  She said in her demanding little way, "Well??  Will I??!!  Huh, huh???  WILL I have a grave stone??!!!"

And for the record, no I do not allow horror/scary movies/shows in the house.  I actually closely monitor everything they watch.

No comments:

 
Trace