Saturday, March 8, 2008

Meet Sophia!

This is my sweet Sophia.  She is my second born daughter.  There is just something about her that makes most people instantly fall in love with her.  

Sophia is by far the most laid-back and easy-going of all of my children.  She is the only girly that got Nick's dark hair, and often, people don't think she is mine because she looks so different from the other girls.  She is so different in personality too.  

Sophia is just one of the most selfless, giving, kind-hearted, gentle-spirited, caring and loving people I have ever met.  And I am not just saying this because I am biased as her mother, I cannot always say these things about all of my daughters.  Sophie is such an old soul.  If eyes are the windows to the soul, as they say, then it rings especially true for her. I can get lost looking into those big luminous green-brown eyes of hers.  They hold a wisdom far beyond her 7 years.  Family and friends tend to favor her over the other girls, because she just has that way about her.  

If we ever have plans that fall through, my other girls tend to whine and sometimes cry and then mope around.  Not Sophia, she will give the expected, "Aw, man!" quickly followed by a, "That's okay.  It's no biggie."  She always puts others first, even if it's something meant to be special for her.  Like picking what she wants to have for dinner on her birthday (a family tradition) she will make sure she chooses something that the other sisters also like, and she will even ask them to help her decide.  If she gets birthday money, or something like a gift certificate, she always keeps her sisters in mind, things that they like too, when she chooses what to purchase.  She has a hard time picking something for herself, because she just doesn't put herself first.  She will give up her turn for someone else, and always let someone go first.  I never hear the words "I want to be first" from her.  She is patient and will gladly wait without complaint for others to go ahead of her.

When someone wrongs her, or is mean to her, or does something to upset her, she instantly forgives and it is honest and heartfelt.  She is quick to forgive and forget and will never hold a grudge.  If someone is acting ugly to her, she will rarely act the same way back.

Sophia is my child who tends to keep her emotions to herself.  She is a little stoic, this sweet girl of mine.  When she is sad, she will often go off somewhere alone to cry.  No matter how many times I have told her to come to me if she is sad and I will hold her and comfort her, she will tell me after the fact and say that she didn't want to worry me.  Yet, if I am having a bad day, or am upset or sad myself, she just has a way of knowing and she will come and give me a great hug, or sit beside me and rub my arm, or snuggle up next to me.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

She is quick to give a helping hand whenever one is needed.  Most times, I do not even have to ask her, she just volunteers and does things without being told.  She always thinks of ways to make things easier for those around her, and steps up and does those things expecting no reward.

She has such a sweet relationship with her sisters.  She is often found playing "twins" with Jules.  She loves to hang out with big sis, Hannah, and she is so great with Evelynn, playing with her and entertaining her and taking care of her.

Photobucket
She has a total quick wit, just like her Daddy.  She is constantly making me laugh and smile with the funny things she says.  She is truly entertaining, and the best part about it is that she doesn't try to be funny on purpose.  She can also be quite mischievous at times, although it usually involves figuring out how something works, or "experimenting" with things, or climbing up things; rarely does it involve an malice.  Some of the things she has done have had me shaking my head, but her demeanor usually prevents me from being truly upset.  Of course, she happily volunteers to clean up any messes she has made in the process.

I have already mentioned her old soul and wisdom that she carries.  Sophia sometimes knows things, things that I have never told her.  Things about family members that have passed, things about other people that she has no way of knowing, things like that.  She always seems to know what people need,and she often makes friends with those that other children have not been so kind to.  She is always thinking of others.  If we come across an accident, or see someone while we are out who has a physical injury, she will always comment that we should say a prayer for that person, and she does.  

I am so privileged to be her mother, and to raise such a wonderful child.  I often think that I would be a better person if I took more of my cues from her.  Being her Mommy is a great joy to me, and I know that in the years to come, she will have lots to teach me about being a better person.


Photobucket

No comments:

 
Trace